The Farm’s Cobb Salad
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon (chopped)
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt 2 6 ounce (oz) skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- Zest in wide strips and juice from 1 lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 shallot (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 avocados
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 large head bibb lettuce (torn into pieces)
- 2 heads romaine lettuce (cut into pieces)
- 4 ounces (oz) blue cheese (crumbled)
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring, until crisp, for 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water by about 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, then run under cold water to cool. Peel under cold running water. Chop the hard-boiled eggs and season with salt.
- Combine chicken, lemon zest and juice, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and a large pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the chicken by 1/2 inch. Bring to a bare simmer over medium heat (do not boil) and cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 75 degrees celcius (°C), for about 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the vinegar, shallot, mustard and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a serving bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified. Season with pepper. Dice the chicken and toss with 1 tablespoon of the dressing in a separate bowl.
Halve, pit and dice the avocados. Season tomatoes with salt. Add bibb and romaine lettuces to the serving bowl on top of the dressing. Arrange the bacon, hard-boiled eggs, chicken, avocados, tomatoes and blue cheese in rows on top of the lettuce. When ready to serve, toss the salad and season with salt and pepper.